Tuesday 2 March 2010

Primal recognition

Saturday was quite eventful in its way. Not only did my wife and I march to protest against cutbacks being imposed at our local hospital, we also dropped into Starbucks for a hot chocolate. Okay, so in and of itself, going to Starbucks is not in any way cool. But Starbucks, Highbury Corner branch, at 11.45am on this particular February morning was the exception. 

One thing about London is that famous faces are never far away. I've seen quite a few in my time and most I have not really been bothered about. I mean, the actress Juliet Stevenson was close by us on the Whittington Hospital march but so what. Most encounters with celebrities are of little consequence and barely worth noting. They are merely people, after all. In fact, I have forgotten about more such encounters than I actually remember. The exceptions being the ones like the time Jeremy Paxman almost ran me down on his bicycle outside the National Gallery or when the Queen gave me a dirty look at the Derby.  

Starbucks on Saturday was up there alongside my brushes with the reigning monarch and the BBCs chief interrogator. In fact, it probably edges in front. 

As we stood in line, debating whether to go tall or short, my wife turned to me and said that she was amused how the guy in front was telling his young son about the evils of the world. About how the capitalist masters screw the people - that kind of thing. I glanced at the said bloke and child. They were both lean with black shoulder-length rock legend hair. As I turned my attentions back to the menu, he turned his head and I caught a telling glimpse of his face.

It was double-take time. Was that really who it appeared to be? I looked again. He glanced sideways at me. I was wearing my aviators so he couldn't see my eyes. I was sure it was him. But maybe it just looked like him. Then he spoke. The Scottish accent was unmistakeable. It was him.

For the next three or four minutes, until our peppermint infused chocolate arrived, there was a barrage of swift, edgy, furtive glances cast in my direction. The great man was either wondering what kind of a fool wears sunglasses inside when it is actually dark and raining outside, or he knew that I knew. 

Bobby Gillespie knew that I knew.    

2 comments:

Victoria, The Sadler's Lady said...

Hey just noticed you have a blog! Love the Celebrity Encounters! Check my blog for the American version! www.thesadlerslady.blogspot.com

someoldkid said...

Yeh, I should probably blog a new post. It's been a while since the last one.
You know, I only found out about a month or so ago that you're the Sadler's Lady. Juliana assumed she'd mentioned it at some point. She hadn't!